Re: space taken by a row & compressed data

От Tino Wildenhain
Тема Re: space taken by a row & compressed data
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Leonardo,

Am Do, den 26.08.2004 schrieb Leonardo Francalanci um 15:51:
> With mysql I know how much space a row will take, based on the datatype
> of it columns. I also (approximately) know the size of indexes.
> Is there a way to know that in postgresql?
>
> Is there a way to pack (compress) data, as with myisampack for mysql?

in the contrib dir you will find something (dbsize or so)
to check for sizes of objects (at least tables)

Due to the MVCC you happen to have multiple versions
of an updated row at the same time so the numbers arent
very exact all the time.

Large objects such as text columns are stored in compressed
form already.

HTH
Tino Wildenhain