Re: pg_dump feature request: Exclude tables?

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: pg_dump feature request: Exclude tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 20:11, Glen Parker wrote:
> > >Hmm, while you're at it, maybe you could make it accept wild
> > >cards or regexp or something :-)  That should allow you to toss
> > >the -n parameter altogether (schema.*) if you wanted to.
> > >
> > >It would also be at least as good, IMO, to accept only one -t
> > >option, re-defined as a comma-seperated list of names...  And an
> > >exlusion parameter defined the same way.
> > >
> > How would this interact with the shell?  It seems like a supportability
> > issue if we have to require single quotes around such arguments.
>
> I think wild cards would be extremely useful, but you're right, it can't be
> required for common cases.  Maybe "-t schema." could be shorthand for "-t
> schema.*".

Anyone who uses shell commands must already be familiar with the need to
quote wildcard characters which are not meant for the shell.  One major
utility which requires this is find; others that spring to mind are dpkg
-l and mmv.  Anyone who doesn't get it will very soon be educated; I
don't see this issue as a reason not to use such wildcards.

Oliver Elphick