Re: Hardware upgrade for a high-traffic database

От Rod Taylor
Тема Re: Hardware upgrade for a high-traffic database
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 18:03, Jason Coene wrote:
> [...]

This looks fine. The memory is not unused (only 5MB is actually empty)
but is being used for disk cache.

Active is memory used by programs and would need to be swapped if this
space was needed.

Inactive is memory that is generally dirty. Disk cache is often here. In
your case, you likely write to the same pages you're reading from --
which is why this number is so big. It also explains why a checkpoint is
a killer; a large chunk of this memory set needs to be pushed to disk.

Cache is memory used generally for disk cache that is not dirty. It's
been read from the disk and could be cleared immediately if necessary.

Wired is memory that cannot be swapped. In your case, Shared Memory is
probably Wired (this is good). There is another sysctl to check and set
whether it is wired or swappable.

Interesting (if dry) read:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vm-design/index.html

Сообщение: Re: Hardware upgrade for a high-traffic database
Сообщение: Re: Hardware upgrade for a high-traffic database