Re: Release notes for upgrading

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Release notes for upgrading
Дата
Re: Release notes for upgrading  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 01:11, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > On Tuesday 10 August 2004 22:57, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >> I don't think many users realise they can use the next version's pg_dump
> >> to upgrade.  I think it should be put in every release notes!
>
> > Assuming we're not ready to recommend Slony for upgrades, I would second this
> > idea based on my experience of several cases where I *had* to dump a database
> > using the newer pg_dump to get it to upgrade reliably.
>
> This has been standard lore for awhile.  Where should we document it
> exactly?

Actually it seems it is already mentioned in
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/install-upgrading.html and
somewhat inferred in
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/migration.html

I'll take a swing at making the language a little stronger. We could
also add it as a mailing list hint.  Chris, you have any other ideas
where you would like to see it?

Robert Treat