Re: Embedded Database

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Embedded Database
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 02:30, Richard Connamacher wrote:
> I have two questions about PostgreSQL:
>
> Does anybody know if it can be used as an embedded database engine within an application,
> so the application doesn't have to connect to an external server? (I have looked at SQLite, and
> I'd rather use PostgreSQL for my app, footprint be damned.)
>
> And, does anybody know if it's possible for PostgreSQL to run a database entirely in RAM
> without saving the file out to disk?

Neither of those are strong points of PostgreSQL.

However, if you're willing to take an ax to the template0/1 system and
chop off the parts you don't need, you can get a default database down
fairly small, and mounting a ram disk for the database handles the
"entirely in ram" thing (no, there's no built in facility for in ram
operation and not likely to ever be one.)