Re: Losing records when server hang

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Losing records when server hang
Re: Losing records when server hang  (lec <limec@streamyx.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 19:43, lec wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm observing the following:
> If I commit the following records 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 to the database
> and the server hangs, I could lose records 5,6,7,8,9 but record 10 is
> there.  How is this possible and do anyone know how Postgresql
> physically writes the records?

Assuming a properly function storage subsystem and a kernel that does
not lie about fsync, this is not possible.

Are you running on top of IDE drives with the write cache enabled?
Most, if not all, IDE drives lie about FSYNC and can lose data if power
is disconnected abrubtly.

Or if you are running with fsync=false in postgresql.conf the same thing
can happen.  Otherwise, not, it should not happen.  More info perhaps?