Re: Tables in one disk and indexes in another ??

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Tables in one disk and indexes in another ??
Список pgsql-novice
On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 11:51, Gastón Simone wrote:
> I have unly one database and two disks. In order to use all my hardware
> resources I want to store (for example) the tables in one of the disks and
> the indexes in the other one. How can I do that?

Right now, you have three possible choices:

1:  Move to RAID-1, or 1 on 0, or 0 on 1, which will automatically
spread everything over multiple disks for you, and give great
performance for things like report databases.  Still has good write
performance.  Caching RAID controllers can give a big wrote boost with
battery backed cache.  Pros:  Stable and reliable data storage.  Cons:
Costs the most.

2:  Identify which files are which in the data store.  Shut down the
postmaster.  Move the files by hand and soft link them back to the data
store.  Restart Server.  Repeat every time you drop / create the index
or reindex.

3:  Start testing 8.0 beta and wait for it to get "good enough" for your
production environment.  8.0 will support table spaces, which directly
addresses your problem.