Re: PostgreSQL as an application server

От J. Andrew Rogers
Тема Re: PostgreSQL as an application server
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 10:53, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Although the gap still exists within the environment itself, one
> significant advantage with PostgreSQL is you can use a more native (to
> the programmer anyway) language to generate your logic.
>
> With PostgreSQL alone you can use plPerl, plPython and plPHP. The
> language itself hasn't change in it's implementation of the pL. You just
> have to remember to make all ' a '' :) (at least for the most part).

One of the things I very much like about PostgreSQL is that it feels
like more of a programmer's RDBMS than Oracle.  As in the needs and
preferences of programmers were obviously given a higher priority in the
design of PostgreSQL.  I find this to be a very attractive feature and a
good thing.

This is a case of where a focus on the needs and preferences of hackers
in the development of the software by hackers has worked out pretty
well, at least for me.  People say that is a bad thing about a lot of
OSS, but I actually think it was needed in RDBMS software.

j. andrew rogers