Re: lock entire database

От Steve Tucknott
Тема Re: lock entire database
Дата
Re: lock entire database  (Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com>)
Список pgsql-novice
We have a similar request.
We have a 'program' that does database 'structure' updates and do not want the users touching the database while this is going on. In Informix this was achieved by placing and EXCLUSIVE lock on the database itself.
Is there a (simple) way of 'locking out' specific users under PostGre to achieve the same end?
On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 16:32, Ron St-Pierre wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

> In PGSQL, is it possible to lock the entire database??!!

Not that I know of, but why would you want to anyway?

> This could be done with locking with individual table locking, but any
> way to lock the entire db??
> If this is the only way, how do i get the listing of the tables? thru
> '\d' ?? and then 'cut' or 'sed ' on it to get the individual table names?

Check out the docs at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/app-psql.html to see the psql
commands. With the \d you can see just the tables, views, etc (eg \dt).
Ron