Re: most idiomatic way to "update or insert"?

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: most idiomatic way to "update or insert"?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Peter,

The "does not work" part is not refering to the method not working at
all, but to the fact that it is not safe when you have multiple
transactions operating on the same row at the same time.
There are plenty of discussions about the insert-or-update race
conditions on this list, and the final conclusion was always that it is
not possible to solve the race condition without being prepared to catch
exceptions and retry the whole thing until it succedes...
The reason of the race condition: let's say 2 transactions A and B try
to insert-or-update the same row which does not exist. They do the
update statement at the same time, and BOTH OF THEM gets as a result
that no rows were updated, since the row does not exist yet. Now both
transactions try to insert the row, and obviously one of them will fail.
So your code must be prepared that the insert can fail, and in that case
it should retry with the update.
People tried to devise a method to avoid the race condition and throwing
exception, but it is just not possible.
Now the one bad thing in postgres which people complained about in this
context is that the transaction gets rolled back on any error, so
actually instead of just retrying the update, you will have to redo your
whole transaction.

HTH,
Csaba.