Re: configure gaps

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: configure gaps
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 10/02/2010 01:35 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> xgettext is not required for the build.

> here is the tail of my make log with gettext-tools uninstalled (platform
> is SLES 11 SP1):

>     make -C backend all
>     make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/pg_9_0/src/backend'
>     msgfmt -o po/de.mo po/de.po
>     You don't have 'xgettext'.
>     make[2]: *** [po/de.mo] Error 1

It seems to me that this indicates brain death on the part of the SLES
packager.  Surely if msgfmt requires xgettext to work in his build, they
should be in the same subpackage, or else the one containing msgfmt
ought to require the one containing xgettext.

configure checks whether msgfmt is available; I think that its
responsibility stops there.  We can't predict every reason why the
program might work or not at runtime.