Re: Point in Time Recovery

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Point in Time Recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 16:25, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD wrote:

> I think the filename 'recovery.conf' is misleading, since it is not a
> static configuration file, but a command file for one recovery.
> How about 'recovery.command' then 'recovery.inprogress', and on recovery
> completion it should be renamed to 'recovery.done'

You understand this and your assessment is correct.

recovery.conf isn't an attempt to persist information. It is a means of
delivering a set of parameters to the recovery process, as well as
signalling overall that archive recovery is required (because the system
default remains the same, which is to recover from the logs it has
locally available to it).

I originally offered a design which used a command, similar to
DB2/Oracle...that was overruled as too complex. The (whatever you call
it) file is just a very simple way of specifying whats required.

There is more to be said here...clearly some explanations are required
and I will provide those later...

Best regards, Simon Riggs