Re: postgres 7.4 at 100%

От Frank Knobbe
Тема Re: postgres 7.4 at 100%
Дата
Re: postgres 7.4 at 100%
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 00:33, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > I upped effective_cache to 16000 KB and I could only up the
> > shared_buffers to 3000.  Anything more and postgres would not start.
>
> You need to greatly incrase the shared memory max setting on your
> machine so that you can use at the very least, 10000 shared buffers.

Doug said the same, yet the PG Tuning article recommends not make this
too large as it is just temporary used by the query queue or so. (I
guess the system would benefit using more memory for file system cache)

So who is correct? The tuning article or big-honking-shared-mem
proponents?

FWIW: I have a box with 512 MB RAM and see no different between 4096 and
32758 shared buffers...

Regards,
Frank

Вложения