Re: License question

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: License question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I still think you should change the text on the front page to read, at
> the very least, "PostgreSQL is distributed under a flexible X11 like
> license". "BSD" is too misleading, and most people know the X11 license
> by now.

http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html

http://www.postgresql.org/licence.html

They look very similar to me. What's the difference?

Also, I'm a little confused. If you mix some postgresql-licensed code
with some (for example) gpl-licensed code, is the end result:
(a) GPL, since that's the more restrictive of the two; or
(b) The gpl code is still gpl, and the postgresql code is still
postgresql-licensed?

"b" makes more sense to me, since I don't see how you can "relicense"
the code if it's not yours.

Also, can you license code at all if it isn't yours? I would assume you
would have to make changes and license the changes you made, and
distribute it along with the postgresql-licensed code.

Regards,Jeff Davis