Re: upgrade postgres 7.1 to 7.4.2

От Keith C. Perry
Тема Re: upgrade postgres 7.1 to 7.4.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Quoting csysi <csysi@fe.up.pt>:

> Hello, i upgrade postgres version 7.1 to version 7.4.2 and it tell me that
> the databases are incompatible.
>
> Can i convert the databases ?
>

> Thank´s for the help
>

> Jorge

If you could post the exact error that you are getting and how you are
proceeding that would be helpful.

However, I've upgraded 7.1.3 to 7.4 and I had lots of problems until I used the
pg_dumpall from 7.4.  In my case, it had two boxes so I ran the pg_dump from the
7.4 box to the 7.1.3.

Basically, you are dumping over the network.  Its very straight forward.  All
you have to do is set up the appropriate parameters in the pg_hba.conf file of
your 7.1 box and follow the directions in the man page of pg_dumpall (see the
"-h" parameter).

If you are not on a network, you could install 7.4 version in a different
directory and configure to run on a different port.  You still dump via IP this
way.  You can run both systems head to head that way and see how things went.

Good luck-

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications