Re: Information/schema hiding...

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: Information/schema hiding...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 17:10, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> Should information hiding be done in psql(1) or should this be managed
> by the backend and all logic kept out of psql(1)?

If the intent of this feature is security, it seems totally pointless to
implement it in psql (leaving aside whether it's actually a good idea or
not).

[ WRT to search_path and nonexistent schemas ]

> > Why is that needed?  It's already a no-op AFAIR.  It also is
> > incompatible with the existing behavior, in which nonexistent schemas
> > (think "$user") are dropped silently rather than noisily.
>
> Actually, $user still works..

I think the more important question is: "Why is that needed?"

(Consider the PATH environmental var, which is fairly analogous to
search_path -- that doesn't complain if you add nonexistent directories
to it.)

-Neil