Re: elog/ereport noreturn decoration

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: elog/ereport noreturn decoration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> But my point was, there aren't any unused code warnings.  None of the
> commonly used compilers issue any.  I'd be interested to know if there
> is any recent C compiler supported by PostgreSQL that issues some kind
> of unused code warning under any circumstances, and see an example of
> that.  Then we can determine whether there is an issue here.

Well, the Solaris Studio compiler produces "warning: statement not
reached" messages, as seen for example on buildfarm member castoroides.
I don't have one available to experiment with, so I'm not sure whether
it knows that abort() doesn't return; but I think it rather foolish to
assume that such a combination doesn't exist in the wild.