Re: How to avoid (stop) a endless loop in a trigger

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: How to avoid (stop) a endless loop in a trigger
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 14:54, Rodrigo Sakai wrote:
>   Hi people, i have a problem here.
>   I'm doing a trigger that when a update occurs i need to do an update on the same table (target table), but as
known,it causes a endless loop whithin infinit updates.   So I need to stop the trigger after it does the first update,
isthere any way?????

>   I tried to do a return null, but that was a very bad idea because it stops completly the function fired by a
triggerand all its computation is in vain...

>   The test trigger that i did is like :
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.sp_teste_loop()  RETURNS trigger AS '
>   begin
>     raise notice \'Trigger Fired\';
>     if (TG_OP = \'INSERT\') then
>       update teste_trigger
>         set flg_bool = \'S\'
>         where codigo=NEW.codigo;
>
>       RETURN NEW;
>
>     elsif (TG_OP = \'UPDATE\') then
>       update teste_trigger
>         set flg_bool = \'N\'
>       where codigo=NEW.codigo;
>
>       RETURN NULL;
>     end if;
>   end;
> '  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

Does this update other records, or only the one you are inserting or
updating?

If the former, add " AND flg_bool IS NULL OR flg_bool != \'S\'" to the
update condition (!=\'N\' for the update case); then records that are
already OK will not be touched, so the recursion will stop
automatically.

If the latter, just change NEW.flg_bool and return NEW