Re: [SQL] Materialized View Summary

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: [SQL] Materialized View Summary
Дата
Re: [SQL] Materialized View Summary
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 12:11, Richard Huxton wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 February 2004 16:11, Jonathan M. Gardner wrote:
> >
> > I've written a summary of my findings on implementing and using
> > materialized views in PostgreSQL. I've already deployed eagerly updating
> > materialized views on several views in a production environment for a
> > company called RedWeek: http://redweek.com/. As a result, some queries
> > that were taking longer than 30 seconds to run now run in a fraction of a
> > millisecond.
> >
> > You can view my summary at
> > http://jonathangardner.net/PostgreSQL/materialized_views/matviews.html

have you done much concurrency testing on your snapshot views? I
implemented a similar scheme in one of my databases but found problems
when I had concurrent "refresh attempts".  I ended up serializing the
calls view LOCKing, which was ok for my needs, but I thought potentially
problematic in other cases.

> Interesting (and well written) summary. Even if not a "built in" feature, I'm
> sure that plenty of people will find this useful. Make sure it gets linked to
> from techdocs.

Done. :-)

> If you could identify candidate keys on a view, you could conceivably automate
> the process even more. That's got to be possible in some cases, but I'm not
> sure how difficult it is to do in all cases.

it seems somewhere between Joe Conways work work arrays and polymorphic
functions in 7.4 this should be feasible.

Robert Treat