Re: Time to drop old-style (V0) functions?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Time to drop old-style (V0) functions?
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Time to drop old-style (V0) functions?  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> I'm wondering if it's not time for $subject:
> - V0 causes confusion / weird crashes when PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1 was
>   forgotten
> - They have us keep weird hacks around just for the sake of testing V0
> - they actually cost performance, because we have to zero initialize Datums, even if
>   the corresponding isnull marker is set.
> - they allow to call arbitrary functions pretty easily

If by the first point you mean "assume V1 when no info function is found",
I object to that.  If you mean you want to require an info function, that
might be OK.

The habit of zero-initializing Datums has got exactly nothing to do with
V0 functions; it's about ensuring consistent results and avoiding
heisenbugs from use of uninitialized memory.  I do not think we should
drop it.