Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?

От Cott Lang
Тема Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > However, unless I am mistaken, a baseline backup would need to be taken
> > cold because you cannot take a consistent online backup of the data
> > files without using file system snapshots or split mirrors, and even
> > that's questionable.
> >

> pg_dump always takes a consistent dump - things won't change underneath
> it.
> So you're backup won't have anything that changed after pg_dump
> started.. thus where incremental would come in.

Sorry, I'm referring to two entirely different things there. :)

1. Being able to do incremental pg_dumps would be a big plus, because
you could take much quicker dumps and thus do it more regularly. I have
a 50GB database I dump every 3 hours that takes 35 minutes to dump. :(

2. The rest was my hypothesizing on what might be necessary for
point-in-time recovery, which pg_dump isn't going to allow even if you
can perform incremental dumps.