Re: Encoding problems in PostgreSQL with XML data

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Encoding problems in PostgreSQL with XML data
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Merlin Moncure kirjutas E, 12.01.2004 kell 19:56:
> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > IIRC, the charset transformations are done as a separate step in the
> > wire protocol _before_ any parser has chance transform or not.
>
> Yep.  My point is that this is wrong.

Of course :)

It seems to be a quick hack somebody implemented in need, and doing it
as a separate step was suely the easiest way to get it working.

I hope that real as-needed-column-by-column translation will be used
with bound argument queries.

It also seems possible to delegate the encoding changes to after the
query is parsed, but this will never work for EBCDIC and other funny
encodings (like rot13 ;).

for these we need to define the actual SQL statement encoding on-wire to
be always ASCII.

Hannu