Re: Encoding problems in PostgreSQL with XML data

От Rod Taylor
Тема Re: Encoding problems in PostgreSQL with XML data
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Rewriting the <?xml?> declaration seems like a workable solution, but it
> would break the transparency of the client/server encoding conversion.
> Also, some people might dislike that their documents are being changed
> as they are stored.

I presume that the XML type stores the textual representation of the XML
rather than a binary (parsed) format?

I say we treat XML the same was as we deal with things like float and
allow some play with the stored object so long as it's reasonably small
and has the same final interpretation.

If they wanted non-mutable text, they would not have declared it as a
structured format. Just like if they don't want leading 0's removed from
numeric input, they don't declare it as numeric but as binary.