Re: Select max(foo) and select count(*) optimization

От Paul Tuckfield
Тема Re: Select max(foo) and select count(*) optimization
Список pgsql-performance
Not that I'm offering to do the porgramming mind you, :) but . .

In the case of select count(*), one optimization is to do  a scan of the
primary key, not the table itself, if the table has a primary key. In a
certain commercial, lesser database, this is called an "index fast full
scan".  It would be important to scan the index in physical order
(sequential physical IO) and not in key order (random physical IO)

I'm guessing the payoff as well as real-world-utility of a max(xxx)
optimization are much higher than a count(*) optimization tho