Re: Help with PostgreSQL porting project

От Enver ALTIN
Тема Re: Help with PostgreSQL porting project
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 14:20, Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> Are those two LIGHT weight?
> Afaik, PEAR (DB) affects the performance of your OO-php-app quite bad,
> but I haven't really tested it very often myself, just seen tests by others?
> And I'm not talking "quite bad, because php is not very fast in OO", I'm
> talking "quite bad, compared to other (custom built, light weight,
> simple) OO abstraction layers".
> Maybe that has changed since then? But I have, for that reason, never
> really started using PEAR...

Please don't get me wrong, I've got an obsession like determining the
idea behind any free software project which I'm not really sure if it's
a good thing or not.

I'm not the only one who thinks there are way too many projects
duplicating each other (either completely or partially); wasting human
resources and motivation in both short and long term.

Just talking about PEAR::DB, you know, it's a generic database
abstraction layer which attempts to provide almost the same interface
for hopefully all databases supported by PHP; not only for PostgreSQL
and MySQL. It's no junk and it's something barely standardized and it's
bundled with official PHP distribution. In the end, it's free software.
I have noticed no performance bottlenecks in the past and even if there
was, I doubt there is a starving need for performance in web
applications. And I could be a good salesman so I'd better shut up :)

The term "lightweight" means barely nothing to me. Mozilla is FAT, but
most of us do use (at least parts of) it. PostgreSQL is not that
lightweight, you could use flat-files and POSIX API. For many cases,
weight is affordable, and we could possibly help it lose that fat by bug
reports.

BTW, you have not posted a URL for your work. Could you please do so, if
there is any? I would like to take a quick look at your code some time
this weekend.

Thanks for your patience for reading through the
stripped-from-good-ideas proven long text written by me.
Happy new year,
--
|          |  Enver ALTIN (a.k.a. skyblue)
|          |  Software developer, IT consultant
|    FRONT |
|==========|  FrontSITE Bilgi Teknolojisi A.Ş.
|_____SITE_|  http://www.frontsite.com.tr/

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Help with PostgreSQL porting project
Сообщение: Re: Help with PostgreSQL porting project