Re: tablespaces in 7.5?

От Keith C. Perry
Тема Re: tablespaces in 7.5?
Дата
Re: tablespaces in 7.5?
Список pgsql-general
Quoting Brian Maguire <bmaguire@vantage.com>:

> That's right it's a big one from a performance and admin perspective.  DB2,
> Oracle and Informix have tablespaces.  It appears that it has been in the
> postgres crosshair for a few years now.  I'm not sure how much has been
> completed so far.
>

> Few scenarios where they are really important:
>
> 1.
>      Right now a database can be as fast as one disk.  Tablespaces allow you to
> distribute database objects across multiple physical locations.  A big index
> or table can live on separate disks distributing the io activity.
>
> 2.
>     Say you are close to running out of disk space and want to grow some of the
> data onto another disk.  Table spaces allow you to alter the table space and
> more easily move the big table or indexes onto a different disk rather than
> just moving the entire db to a bigger single disk.
>
> 3.
>     Say there is a part of a database that you want to backup every hour, but
> backing up entire database is overkill.  You can set it up so it backs up
> different table spaces at different times.
>
> 4.
>     Couple other features of tablespaces are that they allow you to allocate
> space to a specific tablespace and to take only part of a database offline or
> online very easily.
>

> More detail on what they are how to mange them with oracle...
> http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/wls/software/oracle/server.901/a88856/c04space.htm
>
> http://www.siue.edu/~dbock/cmis565/ch8-tablespaces.htm
> http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/doc/oracle/server803/A54641_01/ch8.htm

Ok, thats for the response.  I take it a PG namespace = Oracle table space (or
namespace is simply the generic term).  I can see some definite benefits
especially with disk i/o throughput though I thought database partitioning (I
think that is what its called) would provide the same thing.

This actually sounds like system that might fit well on a Plan 9 OS.

Anyway, thanks to all for the explanations.

--