Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training
Список pgsql-general
Hi Brett;

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 01:06, Bret Busby wrote:
<snip>

> I assume from the above, that the 1 one (Basic competency), would be
> the equivalent of the MySQL 4 Core Certification?
>
> Would it not also be appropriate, to include in that one, installation
> and (basic) configuration; that is, including configuration, but not to
> the extent of performance tuning?

Installation and basic configuration might be a part of it.  However, as
I have stated before, this MIGHT eventually lead to certification, but
IF it happens, it will be years or decades away.

> Also, then, in which level, would you include upgrading (version
> upgrades)?

Bear in mind that the model I am working with is a rough draft and I
welcome community feedback.  Basic upgrading may be considered part of
the basic competency part, but more advanced aspects would be at least a
level or 2 beyond that.

Also, you should understand that while I agree that a more structured
framework would be helpful for people learning the program, I think
there is something to be said against overly structuring the
curriculum.  This is where, IMO, the Microsoft certifications fall
flat.  (I have taken and passed 11 of the MCP exams and of those, I was
only impressed with 1 of them; it is now retired.)

What I am hoping to do is create a community record of what is
considered to be a set of skills necessary to really use the database
manager in a variety of ways.  This is lacking (both in the MySQL and
PostgreSQL communities) and I think that it would be helpful for us to
do it first.  Then the actual technical might be filled in by individual
contributors, and discussions could be had over errors (allowing a
better peer review process).  Community ownership is imperitive.

> Out of interest, Chris, in noting your message timestamp, which shows
> the same time zone as Western Australia, are you somehwere above me (in
> some country north of Western Australia)? The only country below me,
> from my understanding, is Antartica.

Yes.  I am currently in Jakarta, Indonesia (for the next few months).

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers