Re: Resurrecting pg_upgrade

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: Resurrecting pg_upgrade
Дата
Re: Resurrecting pg_upgrade  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 14:51, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> re Windows: pipes, yes, hard links, no (and no sane symlinks either)

Actually, NTFS does support hard links, there is just no support for it
in any MS file management GUI.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnfiles/html/ntfs5.asp

>From the above link:

BOOL CreateHardLink( LPCTSTR lpFileName,                           LPCTSTR lpExistingFileName,
LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTESlpSecurityAttributes

);

> Maybe use an option which you would disable on Windows to copy the files
> instead of hardlinking them. Yes it would take lots more time and space,
> but copying raw files would surely still be a lot faster than loading
> the dump.

I think this would be a good feature even without hard link problems.
If I am a paranoid admin, and I can afford the time and disk space
required, I would want to keep a complete copy of my database, even
after the new server is up and running.