Re: Help tracking down problem with inserts slowing

От Steve Wampler
Тема Re: Help tracking down problem with inserts slowing
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 16:38, Neil Conway wrote:

>     (1) Can you confirm that the VACUUM FULL on site B actually
>         removed all the tuples you intended it to remove? Concurrent
>         transactions can limit the amount of data that VACUUM FULL is
>         able to reclaim. If you run contrib/pgstattuple (or compare
>         the database's disk consumption with the number of live rows
>         in it), you should be able to tell.

Hmmm, I installed 7.2.3 from RPMs, but the contrib package seems
to be missing the pgstattuple library code.  (According to the
readme, I should do:

    $ make
    $ make install
    $ psql -e -f /usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib/pgstattuple.sql test

but the first two lines don't make sense with the binary rpm
distribution and trying the last line as (for my world):

  ->psql -e -f /usr/share/pgsql/contrib/pgstattuple.sql
farm.devel.configdb

yields:

  DROP FUNCTION pgstattuple(NAME);
  psql:/usr/share/pgsql/contrib/pgstattuple.sql:1: ERROR:
RemoveFunction: function 'pgstattuple(name)' does not exist
  CREATE FUNCTION pgstattuple(NAME) RETURNS FLOAT8
  AS '$libdir/pgstattuple', 'pgstattuple'
  LANGUAGE 'c' WITH (isstrict);
  psql:/usr/share/pgsql/contrib/pgstattuple.sql:4: ERROR:  stat failed
on file '$libdir/pgstattuple': No such file or directory

I don't need this right now (a reindex seems to have fixed
our problem for now...), but it sounds like it would be useful
in the future.

Thanks!
Steve
--