Re: why roll-your-own s_lock? / improving scalability

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: why roll-your-own s_lock? / improving scalability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Nils Goroll <slink@schokola.de> writes:
> Now that the scene is set, here's the simple question: Why all this? Why not
> simply use posix mutexes which, on modern platforms, will map to efficient
> implementations like adaptive mutexes or futexes?

(1) They do not exist everywhere.
(2) There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that they'd make things better.

If someone cared to rectify (2), we could consider how to use them as an
alternative implementation.  But if you start with "let's not support
any platforms that don't have this feature", you're going to get a cold
reception.