Re: SELECT DISTINCT very slow

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: SELECT DISTINCT very slow
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Not really. The OP doesn't say how wide the record rows are but unless
> they're very wide it wouldn't pay to use an index for this even if you
> didn't have to access the heap also. It's going to be faster to scan
> the whole heap and either sort or use a hash. Currently there aren't
> many cases where a btree with 6,000 copies of 111 distinct keys is
> going to be useful.

It was 600,000 not 6,000 ... so a skip-scan might be worth the trouble,
but as you say we haven't done it.

In any case I think the real issue is that the OP is probably using a
pre-8.4 release which will always do SELECT DISTINCT via sort-and-unique.
Hash aggregation would be a whole lot faster for these numbers, even
if not exactly instantaneous.  He could update to 8.4, or go over to
using GROUP BY as was recommended upthread.