Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

От Keith C. Perry
Тема Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"too hard"  ???

That really amazes me.  We've been running PostgreSQL for our clients since
before 7.1.  We only run one instance.  We generally manage the actually web
sites but clients gets their own db user user and shell account so they could
manager their database remotely if they want (with SSL enforced of course) with
something like pgAdmin III.

I honestly think that ISP's who offer MySQL instead of PostgreSQL with such
reasons are doing their clients a disservice since 1) "too hard" is hardly a
reason to not run a product and 2) MySQL as a replacement is for PostgreSQL is
NOT acceptable (though the reverse substitution would be more so).

Quoting Craig O'Shannessy <craig@ucw.com.au>:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > There is another thing too-- MySQL manages connection permissions entirely
> >
> > >within the RDBMS, while PostgreSQL relies on the pg_hba.conf.  This makes
> > >managing a database server in a shared hosting environment a bit harder.
> > >While I appreciate the PostgreSQL way of doing things, I realize that it
> is
> > >a bit harder to make work for the average web hosting provider.  I am
> > >currently looking at the possibility of building a solution, but no one
> has
> > >expressed interest, so I am not sure.
> > >

> > Ahh just run different instances for each customer.
>
> This wouldn't really work for a ISP would it?  A fairly low spec machine
> with a few hundred low-hit websites, maybe 60 of them wanting a database
> for their blogs?
>
> My ISP runs mysql, I don't get shell access :((, but I can remotely
> connect to their mysql server from home.  If running sixty instances of
> PostgreSQL, wouldn't you have to have 60 different port numbers, not to
> mention a whole lot of RAM?
>
> I've asked them to put up PostgreSQL as an alternative, but they just say
> "too hard" and don't want to talk about it.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com