Re: AUTOCOMMIT didn't work...

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: AUTOCOMMIT didn't work...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 20:39, Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please see the history below...
>
> Does AUTOCOMMIT as used here functionally replace VACUUM ANALYZE?

No; they are completely separate concepts.  Autocommit treats every
statement as a separate transaction; as you have found, this will slow
things down.

VACUUM ANALYZE reads through all rows in a table or all the tables in a
database to set up some statistics to guide the planner.  It needs to be
used regularly or the planner will start to produce invalid results and
queries will take a long time.  That is not the same reason for taking a
long time as making every statement a separate transaction.

> If I turn on AUTOCOMMIT is every transaction commited as it is
> executed?  If this is the case the query will take about twice as
> long... I have actually tested this scenario.
>
> Using AUTOCOMMIT as suggested didn't solve the problem.

I think someone said turn it on when he meant turn it off?  It is always
on by default.

To put many statements into one transaction, enclose them all in BEGIN;
and END;  They should then run a lot faster.

     "A Song for the sabbath day. It is a good thing to
      give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto
      thy name, O most High."   Psalms 92:1