Re: ALTER TABLE modifications

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: ALTER TABLE modifications
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera kirjutas R, 14.11.2003 kell 16:17:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 08:59:05AM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
> > I tried the current patch on a RC2 release, and I noticed one
> > undesirable side affect.
> >
> > Modifying a column  moves it to the end. In high availability situations
> > this would not be desirable, I would imagine it would break lots of
> > code.
>
> This is expected.  Doing otherwise would incur into a much bigger
> performance hit.

Not neccessarily, but it would make the patch much bigger ;)

IIRC there was discussion about splitting colum numbers into physical
and logical numbers at the time when DROP COLUMN was done.

> Anyway, IMHO no code should use SELECT * in any case, which is the only
> scenario where one would expect physical column order to matter, isn't
> it?

and this could also break when just changing the column type.

Hannu

Сообщение: Re: ALTER TABLE modifications
Сообщение: Re: ALTER TABLE modifications