Re: select/update performance?

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: select/update performance?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You are buying yourself trouble. The holes in the IDs are the least
problem, and a generated sequence should not have any business meaning
anyway. BTW, what happens when you delete a record ? That would surely
leave you a hole in the IDs...
Just a quick thought: if you are going to handle manually the ID
creation, and lock rows/tables to do that, you will effectively
serialize all transactions which create ids, because the locks are held
until the transactions finish. Not to mention increased deadlock
probability.
Sequences were designed to overcome all these problems, so why not just
use them ?

Cheers,
Csaba.