Re: Some thoughts about i/o priorities and throttling vacuum

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: Some thoughts about i/o priorities and throttling vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 10:53, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> > One additional thing, some of this might be possible if pg_autovacuum
> > saved its data between restarts.  Right now it restarts with no memory
> > of what happened before.
>
> Well, the unmaintened gborg version adopted approach of storing such info. in a
> table, so that it survives postgresql/pg_atuvacuum restart or both.
>
> That was considered a tablespace pollution back then. But personally I think, it
> should be ok. If ever it goes to catalogues, I would rather add few columns to
> pg_class for such a stat. But again, thats not my call to make.

I still consider it tablespace pollution, when / if it gets integrated
into the backend, and it uses system tables that is a different story,
you are not modifying a users database.  What should happen is that on
exit pg_autovacuum writes it's data to a file that it rereads on
startup, or something like that....

Сообщение: Re: Some thoughts about i/o priorities and throttling vacuum
Сообщение: Re: Some thoughts about i/o priorities and throttling vacuum