Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Дата
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase  (Ned Lilly <ned@nedscape.com>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase  (Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com)
Список pgsql-general
Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
> tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:
>> I've been trying to figure out what it is that Oracle gets out of
>> this, assuming that they don't see MySQL as a serious threat to
>> their core business.

> [ snip ]

> Of course, if the "ability to support R/3" requires InnoDB stuff, then
> this means Oracle just did a nice job of cutting off this strategy...

Ah-hah.  *Now* it's all clear: an alternative to Oracle for SAP would
definitely be a strong threat to Oracle's bottom line.  I think we just
found the real motivation.

(BTW, has anyone looked lately to see how far away Postgres is from
being able to run SAP?)