Re:

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re:
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 11:32, Daniel Schuchardt wrote:
> Read the docs...
>
> Hm looking towards the doks thats the right behavoir. Also from the
> logical point thats the right behavoir. But I don't like it. The CAST
> should return an empty string in that case (looking from the practical
> standpoint).

All CAST is doing is changing the type of the datum; it does not change
its value except perhaps as a side effect.  A null string is not the
same as an empty string.  I don't at all see why you should expect
anything different, especially when the COALESCE() function is already
provided to do exactly what you want.

     "Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be
      ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf."
                                        I Peter 4:16