Re: A multi CUP performance problem

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: A multi CUP performance problem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 22:45, Li YueXin wrote:
> I found  postgresql running on the multi CPU machine doesn't have
> better performance than single CPU machine. Can you explain the
> reason?

In addition to what Christopher Browne suggests, keep in mind that
PostgreSQL spawns a separate Unix process for each client connection.
Since each process can run on at most one CPU at any given time, if the
# of concurrent queries your application submits is < than the # of CPUs
in the machine, PostgreSQL won't take advantage of all your CPUs.

It would be possible to spread the execution of a single query over
multiple CPUs (say, have different nodes in the query tree execute on
different CPUs concurrently), but I highly doubt PostgreSQL will bother
doing that anytime soon.

-Neil