Re: [PERFORM] best arrangement of 3 disks for (insert)

От Cott Lang
Тема Re: [PERFORM] best arrangement of 3 disks for (insert)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 01:05, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Interesting.  Where did you put the OS, and what kind of, and how
> many, SCSI controllers did you have?

I ended up with the OS on the same volume, since it didn't seem to make
any difference.  I'm using a SuperMicro 6023P chassis with an Adaptec
2010S ZCR controller (64bit/66mhz).

I wouldn't recommend SuperMicro to anyone else at this point because
instead of hooking up both U320 channels to the 6 drive backplane, they
only hook up one.  Half the bandwidth, no redundancy. I already had a
burp on the SCSI channel during a single drive death take out one box.
:(

> (If the WAL ever becomes the vehicle for PITR, then it will have
> to be on a separate disk [and preferably a separate controller],
> even if it slows performance.)

Well, it won't have to... but it's certainly a good idea. :)

If we ever get PITR, I'll be so happy I won't mind rebuilding my boxes,
and hopefully I'll have a better budget at that point. ;^)

BTW, I didn't get WORSE performance with the WALs on separate disks, it
just wasn't any better. Unfortunately I lost the spreadsheet I had all
my results in, so I can't be any more specific.