Re: decrypted pwd

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: decrypted pwd
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 11:32, Doug McNaught wrote:
> "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >
> > > It is probably worth trying to spend some time trying to find a finite
> > > set of passwords that are guarenteed to be generators for all possible
> > > MD5 hashes (or at least those than can possibly occur), so that you can
> > > finish the computation in finite time.
> >
> > If I rememberate correctificantly, it would take more storage than all the
> > atoms in the universe to store all the possible md5 sigs.  Or somthing
> > similarly large.  But if it's an excuse to buy a massive storage array,
> > I'm all for it.  :-)
>
> I think Bruno was making a funny...  :)

But any true geek will look for *any* excuse to buy more hardware.

Also, if I remember properly, the estimates are that there are 10^70
atoms in the known Universe.  That equates to ~2^233.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Knowledge should be free for all."
Harcourt Fenton Mudd, Star Trek:TOS, "I, Mudd"