Re: Activate Index

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Activate Index
Дата
Список pgsql-general

http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/archive.php
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/index.php

> >From: "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>
> >To: Edwin Quijada <listas_quijada@hotmail.com>
> >CC: <mattias@kregert.se>, <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
> >Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Activate Index
> >Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:58:57 -0600 (MDT)
> >
> >What query are you running?
> >
> >If you run
> >
> >select * from indexed_table
> >
> >you'll get a seq scan because you're hitting every row.
> >
> >If you're doing
> >
> >select * from indexed_table where indexed_field=1
> >
> >you should get an index scan.
> >
> >Anything in between the query planner will decide.  Unlike some older
> >databases that used a rules based planner, postgresql uses a cost based
> >planner.  I.e. it figures out which "costs" more, a seq scan or an index
> >scan, and chooses accordingly.
> >
> >In order to do this properly, it needs to know how your data is laid out.
> >Have you run analyze on your database?
> >
> >If the query planner still makes the wrong you can force things with "set
> >enable_seqscan = off" temporarily to see if postgresql really is making
> >the best choice.  Then run your query with "explain analyze " at the front
> >and postgresql will run the query, report back how it ran it, how much it
> >THOUGHT it would cost, and how long it really took.
> >
> >Then, you can tune your database by messing about with random_page_cost,
> >cpu*cost (3 different vars) effective_cache_size, shared_buffers, and
> >sort_mem.
> >
> >Postgresql is like a large complex piece of machinery that runs great once
> >it's been setup, but suffers from pretty mediocre performance in it's
> >default installation format due to the need to start on some pretty
> >ancient operating systems / hardware setups.  Lately, some of those
> >defaults have been increased a bit, but they're still small for a
> >workgroup or enterprise class database.
> >

> >On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Edwin Quijada wrote:
> >

> > > Well , My table has 380000 records!!!

> >of

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Fair is where you take your cows to be judged."
Unknown

От: DeJuan Jackson
Сообщение: Re: is it possible to do this? have a subselect that
От: Richard Ellis
Сообщение: Re: Replaceing records