Re: delivering database stand-alone

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: delivering database stand-alone
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 05:24, Joost Kremers wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i am planning to build a database (a dictionary in fact) that i will
> eventually want to distribute on a cd (or downloadable iso). what i would
> like to know is if this is technically possible with postgresql. and how
> exactly would it be done? would i have to make postgresql run off the cd,
> or should it first be installed to the hard disk? (the latter would be
> problematic on linux, given the many different distros and their different
> package management systems...) how would i deal with systems that already
> have a postgreql server or (more difficult perhaps) a different database
> server running?
>
> or should i not make use of postgresql (or any database server) at all for
> the cd? after all, the data in the database is static, users will not have
> to modify it, just look it up.

I think I'd go with ISAM files.  Simpler to relocate to any direc-
tory tree.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

YODA: Code! Yes. A programmer's strength flows from code
maintainability. But beware of Perl. Terse syntax... more
than one way to do it...default variables. The dark side of code
maintainability are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you
when code you write. If once you start down the dark path,
forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.