Re: ALTER TABLE ... TO ... to change related names

От Rod Taylor
Тема Re: ALTER TABLE ... TO ... to change related names
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Backwards compatibility, if nothing else.  Are you prepared to break
> > every existing dump file that has
> >     CREATE TABLE ser (f1 serial);
> >     SELECT pg_catalog.setval('ser_f1_seq', 1, false);
>
> I think breaking backward compability not always bad. If

Replacing SERIAL with a GENERATOR make sense as the definition of an
identity (including current count) is treated as an attribute of the
column for create table.

SQL2003 GENERATOR / IDENTITIES (based on DB2 and MSSQL, I believe) have
greater functionality than SERIAL.