Re: Insert performance

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Insert performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Shridhar Daithankar kirjutas E, 18.08.2003 kell 09:21:
> On 16 Aug 2003 at 11:40, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Shridhar,
> >
> > > Unfortunately he can not use copy due to some constraints.
> >
> > Why not use COPY to load the table, and then apply the constraints by query
> > afterwords?  It might not be faster, but then again it might.
>
> Lol.. The constraints I mentioned weren't database constraints..

Can't you still apply them later ;)

My own experimentation also got numbers in 9k/sec range (on a quad
1.3GHz Xeons, 2GM mem, 50MB/sec raid) when doing 10-20 parallel runs of
~1000 inserts/transaction.

Performance dropped to ~300/sec (at about 60M rows) when I added an
index (primary key) - as I did random inserts, the hit rates for index
pages were probably low.

Hannu