Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings

От: Scott Cain
Тема: Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Ron Johnson, )
   Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
    Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
       Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
        Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
         Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
     Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Jan Wieck, )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
       Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
       Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Jan Wieck, )
    Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Richard Huxton, )
     Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  ("Matt Clark", )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
   Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )

Agreed.  When I actually Did It Right (tm), EXTERNAL storage gave
similar (probably better) performance as my shredding method, without
all the hoops to breakup and reassemble the string.

Scott

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 14:00, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <> writes:
> > Doesn't look that unrealistic to me. A plain text based substring
> > function will reassemble the whole beast first before cutting out the
> > wanted part. His manually chunked version will read only those chunks
> > needed.
>
> So does substr(), if applied to EXTERNAL (non-compressed) toasted text.
> See John Gray's improvements a release or two back.
>
>             regards, tom lane
Scott Cain, Ph. D.
GMOD Coordinator (http://www.gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory