Re: Perfomance Tuning

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Perfomance Tuning
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 09:37, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jeff <threshar@torgo.978.org> writes:
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Christopher Browne wrote:
> >> Are you _certain_ that's still true?  Have you a metric that shows
> >> Informix being 10x faster on a modern system?  That would be quite
> >> surprising...
>
> > We were forced (for budget reason) to switch from raw disk to cooked files
> > on our informix db. We took a huge hit - about 5-6x slower.
> > [snip]
> > The raw disks were on a hitachi fibre array and the cooked files
> > were on a raid5 (scsi). Forget how many spindles in the raid.
> > There were 20 raw disks)
>
> Seems like you can't know how much of the performance hit was due to the
> filesystem change and how much to the hardware change.  But I'd bet 20
> disks on fibre array have way more net throughput than a single RAID
> array on scsi.

I wouldn't be surprised either if the fiber array had more cache
than the SCSI controller.

Was/is the Hitachi device a SAN?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |