Re: Proper Unicode support

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Proper Unicode support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Oleg Bartunov kirjutas E, 11.08.2003 kell 11:52:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > Alexey Mahotkin writes:
> >
> > > AFAIK, currently the codepoints are sorted in their numerical order.  I've
> > > searched the source code and could not find the actual place where this is
> > > done.  I've seen executor/nodeSort.c and utils/tuplesort.c.  AFAIU, they
> > > are generic sorting routines.
> >
> > PostgreSQL uses the operating system's locale routines for this.  So the
> > sort order depends on choosing a locale that can deal with Unicode.
> >

> sort order works, but upper/lower are broken.

I think that the original MB/Unicode support was made for japanese
language/characters, and AFAIK they don't even have the concept
(problem) of upper/lower case.

A question to the core - are there any plans to rectify this for less
fortunate languages/charsets?

Will the ASCII-speaking core tolerate the potential loss of performance
from locale-aware upper/lower ?

Will this be considered a feature or a bugfix (i.e. should we attempt to
fix it for 7.4) ?

Hannu