Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings

От: Scott Cain
Тема: Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Ron Johnson, )
   Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
    Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
       Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
        Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
         Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
     Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Jan Wieck, )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
       Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
       Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Jan Wieck, )
    Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Richard Huxton, )
     Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  ("Matt Clark", )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
   Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )

> snipped much discussion about EXTERNAL storage and substring speed

Joe and Tom,

Thanks for all of your help; I went back to my (nearly) production
database, and executed the `update feature set residues = residues
||'';` and then redid my benchmark.  Here's a summary of the results:

substr in perl                      0.83sec/op
substring on default text column    0.24sec/op
substring on EXTERNAL column        0.0069sec/op

There's that 2 orders of magnitude improvement I was looking for!

Thanks again,
Scott

Scott Cain, Ph. D.
GMOD Coordinator (http://www.gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087