Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings

От: Scott Cain
Тема: Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Ron Johnson, )
   Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
    Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
       Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
        Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
         Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
     Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Jan Wieck, )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
       Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
       Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Jan Wieck, )
    Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Richard Huxton, )
     Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
      Re: [SQL] EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  ("Matt Clark", )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )
 Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Joe Conway, )
   Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: EXTERNAL storage and substring on long strings  (Scott Cain, )

Joe,

I'm working on the comparison--I think the best way to do it is to
reload the original data into a new database and compare them, so it
will take a while.

I have tuned postgresql.conf according to the page that everybody around
here seems to cite. I'll probably post back tomorrow with another set of
results.

Also, the perl script that did several queries used lengths of 5000,
10,000 and 40,000 because those are the typical lengths I would use
(occasionally shorter).

Thanks,
Scott

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 16:49, Joe Conway wrote:
> Scott Cain wrote:
> > So it is possible that if I had a fast scsi drive, the performance might
> > be better?
>
> Faster drives are always better ;-)
>
> Did you try the comparison with shorter substrings? Also, maybe not
> related to your specific question, but have you tuned any other
> postgresql.conf settings?
>
> Joe

Scott Cain, Ph. D.
GMOD Coordinator (http://www.gmod.org/)                     216-392-3087